Thursday, March 10, 2011

Special Guest! An Interview With Simon Lelic

Hello, All,

I’m excited and honoured to welcome mystery and suspense author Simon Lelic as my special guest here on Confessions of a Mystery Novelist…! Simon’s novels Rupture (AKA A Thousand Cuts) and The Facility have won him fans around the world, and I’m so pleased to have had the chance to ask Simon a few interview questions:


What drew you to writing crime fiction (as opposed to another genre)?

To be entirely honest, I wasn’t drawn to any genre in particular. With Rupture, for example, I certainly didn’t set out to write what many now regard as a crime novel. My intention, rather, was to write a novel with bullying at its core. The crime has occurred even before the novel gets underway, and the investigation that follows simply seemed to me the most effective way to construct an engaging story around my central premise.

That said, I certainly don’t have any problem with people describing Rupture in these terms. Quite the opposite: I actually feel very flattered. Crime, it seems to me, is a rich and diverse genre, with a dedicated and hugely knowledgeable readership. To be shortlisted for a CWA Dagger, in particular, was a massive thrill and, again, tremendously gratifying.

Which is all just as well, I suppose. In retrospect, by choosing a detective inspector as the one of the main protagonists of my first novel, I suppose I was asking to be filed on the crime shelves!


How does your background in history and journalism inform your fiction writing?

Journalism prepared me most significantly for the discipline of writing. For some writers, I am sure, the act of tethering yourself to the keyboard, even on those days you are convinced you have nothing to say, is the toughest part of the job. As a journalist, with a page to fill and a deadline to narrowly avoid missing, you become practised at tapping keys until the working day is done. Being a journalist also teaches you about writing succinctly, precisely, and about not patronising your readers: all useful skills for a novelist. On the other hand, journalistic writing is often formulaic – stylistically, grammatically, structurally – and the best fiction, I think, creates its own rules. Shaking off the style-guide habit was initially something of a challenge for me.

As for my background studying history, I would say it has definitely made me more efficient at research. Then again, so has Google. Far more significantly, it has opened my eyes to how far we, as human beings, have come – and how much further on we might now be. Take The Facility, my second novel. It is set several years in the future but it might just as easily have been set in the fourteenth century. Or the fifteenth. Or in the decades in which I grew up. I won’t say too much more on this as I don’t want to give away the plot. The point I am trying to make is that the issues that seem to grab me tightest are around lessons we should already have learned but haven’t. This is most evident in The Facility but applies to Rupture and my newest draft too.



Do you plan to turn either Rupture or The Facility into a series? Or do you intend to write standalones? Why?


The short answer to the first part of your question is, no. It was never my intention to embark on a series and at the moment nothing has changed. On the other hand, never say never. It was not my intention to write a crime novel, after all, and look how that turned out! Without wishing to give away the denouement of Rupture, I have a fair idea about how Lucia moves on from events in the novel, and certainly there is another story in the next stage of her career for her to discover. What that story might be, and whether I feel an urge to tell it, I cannot yet say. Lucia will not be in my next book, nor probably the one after that. But after that? We’ll see . .



What elements do you look for in a good crime novel? What matters most to you?

The same thing, actually, I look for in any novel. Good writing, above all. If something is not well written, I will not finish it unless, for some reason, I have to. Characterisation is equally vital: why spend four, five, six or more hours in the company of someone you do not, at the very least, find interesting? Plot and premise, to me, are less important. Less – which is not to say unimportant. A book without some narrative tension and drive is almost as easy to abandon as a book that is lazily written. But plot alone is not enough. Good writing might carry you through.



Which kind of crime fiction do you most enjoy reading? Why?

I feel I’ve had something of an education in and around the genre recently, because before Rupture was published I will admit I would seldom linger beside the crime shelves at my local bookshop. Which, it turns out, was a huge oversight on my part. Almost by accident I have discovered some terrific writers who, for one reason or another, are publicised as writing primarily in the crime genre. Ryan David Jahn, for instance. Acts of Violence was extraordinary, and I have heard rumours that his forthcoming novel is even better. Scott Turow and Tana French, too, are both fantastic writers, and CJ Sansom has become my holiday reading of choice. I’m not sure I can pinpoint a type of crime fiction as such, but these writers are among those I have relished reading recently and might previously have overlooked.



What are some of the trends you see in crime fiction?

I’m afraid I really don’t think I am best placed to say (see above!). Other, perhaps, than to highlight one trend that my experience seems to exemplify: a blurring of boundaries between crime fiction and ‘literary’ fiction. And it is a trend that should, I feel, be welcomed. Labels of all kind have their uses: in a world tyrannised by choice, they keep us from feeling overwhelmed. But they can be misleading too. They can build barriers, boxing us in or, worse, out. In my experience as a reader, I can certainly testify to that.


Thanks so much for this interview, Simon! Rupture is published by Picador and is available now in paperback. The Facility is out now in Mantle hardback. For more information about Simon Lelic and his work, visit Simon's Book Tour page at UK & Beyond Book Tours.

14 comments:

  1. Margot, haven´t I told you you mustn´t tempt me?

    Well, there can be no harm in adding ´Rupture´ to my wish list, can there? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dorte - *Rubbing hands together* Bwahahahaha! Turnabout is fair play - I've added more books than I want to think about to my TBR list from visits to your excellent blog. In all seriousness, though, I think you will be glad you read Rupture. It's an utterly absorbing story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I love this interview! I haven't heard of him but I'm going to put his books on my wishlist. Although not in a series, from his high standard of books, I know his will be excellent. Thanks, Margot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clarissa - How nice of you :-). I'm glad you enjoyed the interview. I hope very much that you'll like the books, too. And I agree: some of the authors Lelic mentioned are very talented writers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent interview. I think Rupture (aka 1000 Cuts) is a marvellous book and I recommend it highly. It certainly should have won the Dagger it was up for, no competition, in my view! I am not particularly hung up on reading a series rather than standalones by an author (whether crime or not!), but I am glad to read that we might see more of Lucia one day. She is a vivid character.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maxine - Thank you :-). And I agree completely about Rupture. It's a remarkable book and I, too, hope that we'll see more of Lucia at some point. It's interesting, too, that you bring up the question of reading standalones versus reading series. Some people do have a preference for one or the other. Like you, I really don't (although I do have favourite series). Still, it'll be interesting to see whether there's another novel starring Lucia May.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much Margot, for this interview with Simon! *sigh* And another book is added to my towering TBR list...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Elspeth - I know all too well what you mean about that never-ending TBR list *rueful glance at my own.* Glad you enjoyed the interview :-).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I smiled at the part about getting rid of the style guide. I have a background where I wrote for magazines and it was a little bit of an adjustment to write novels. :) Great point on characterization, too--why spend time with someone you don't like? Thanks for the interview, Margot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Elizabeth - Glad you enjoyed the interview. And I really liked Simon's response about the style guide, too. It's a real change, isn't it, to write novels. I had to make some changes, too, when I went from writing scholarly articles and books to writing fiction. And you're right - characters matter. If they're not appealing, readers will stop reading.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice to meet Simon here, new writer to me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Patti - Thanks :-). I think he's a very talented writer and I highly recommend Rupture - beautifully written and utterly engrossing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Though I'm late to the party, it's always fun to find a new author and an intriguing new book to read. With bullying at the core of RAPTURE, it's a very timely read. Thanks so much for the introduction Margot.

    Simon, enjoyed your interview and wishing you much success with your writing.

    Mason
    Thoughts in Progress

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mason - Rupture is, absolutely, a timely book. And it takes up the topic of bullying in a way that shows, all too starkly, what the result of bullying is without preaching. The story is very well-written and I recommend it highly.

    ReplyDelete