Sunday, March 13, 2011

The Alphabet in Crime Fiction: Dorte Hummelshøj Jakobsen

The Alphabet in Crime Fiction community meme has now reached the tenth stop on our perilous journey through the alphabet. Our tour guide Kerrie at Mysteries in Paradise is doing a fantastic job of showing us the sights – and frights ;-). For today’s stop – the letter “J” – I could think of no better contribution than to tell you about a very talented author and blogger, Dorte Hummelshøj Jakobsen, and share some of her work with you.

Dorte’s release Candied Crime is a collection of thirteen short stories. Some of them are only a page long; others are a bit longer. All of them are well-written and are sprinkled with humour, surprises and interesting twists.

The Knitting Club – Some very interesting things happen to the women in Mildred’s weekly knitting club. But Mildred herself is not without stories to share…

Grammy – A dowdy German teacher is the object of her class’ scorn and ridicule…until her husband dies and the class sees a different side of her.

Mushrooms and Toadstools – Arnold buys a beautiful old book for nearly nothing and develops a new hobby. Then he sees what the consequences of it could be.

The Princess on the Pea – A bride at her wedding…a perfect future ahead with one of the “best” families…and then the ‘phone rings.

A Nightly Burger – This burglary was supposed to be an easy job. No alarm, plenty to steal….but that’s not how it turns out.

End of Christmas – A Tragic Tale in Approximately Four Parts – Constable Archibald Primrose has a strange case on his hands. A body’s been found near the home of Arnold and Mildred Kickinbottom, and Primrose doesn’t have a lot of experience investigating deaths. And a dead man on his property is the last thing Arnold needs, what with his wife’s thoroughly annoying relations at the house for Christmas.

Spring Cleaning – Spring is good time to clear out the house and get rid of unwanted…trash.

Shots – Annabella Kickinbottom is fed up with life and down to her last chance at her job at the home of Sir Bellini. She decides to take out her frustrations by taking a shot at the family cat; turns out it’s a decision that has unexpected consequences.

Trick or Treat – A boy knocks at the door of a mysterious house on a dare – and walks into a trick he never expected.

Tea for Ten – Earl and Lady Grey and their daughter Jasmine play hosts to a tea party for some visiting Chinese dignitaries, and poison is on the menu!

Toffee’s Christmas – Christmas comes to Knavesborough – and so does Toffee Brown, a mysterious and eccentric new resident. And then one day she’s found dead…

Casualty A birthday party goes horribly wrong. Things get even worse when the hostess just can’t stop talking about what happened.

The Red Shoes – A pair of beautiful red shoes is key to the mystery of the poisoning of Olivia Cadbury-Flake while she’s attending a car-park attendants’ convention.


Check out this fine review of Candied Crime from Kerrie at Mysteries in Paradise.

Check out this fine review of Candied Crime from Craig at Crime Watch.

Check out this fine review of Candied Crime from Joanne at A Certain Book.

Check out Dorte's guest appearance at Mason Canyon's excellent blog, Thoughts in Progress.

Check out Dorte's TV appearance!


But better yet, do yourself a real favour and get your own copy of Candied Crime.



As if being a talented writer weren’t enough, Dorte Hummelshøj Jakobsen is also an excellent blogger and book reviewer. Her blog, DJ’s Krimiblog, is one of my must-visits on my daily blog rounds. It’s chock-full of fine reviews, beautiful ‘photos, terrific flash fiction and of course, DJ’s Bait-in-the-Box, a brain-teasing crime fiction game. What’s more, Dorte blogs and writes in her own Danish as well as English, and that’s a lot more than I can say for myself.


I am honoured to be a part of the same crime fiction community as Dorte. If you haven’t “met” her yet, you should.

31 comments:

  1. Cathy - Thanks :-)! Isn't she terrific?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Margot and Dorte .. a good J! Love the choices and succinct previews .. bundled together into Candied Crime's selection of 13 - sounds fun .. definitely for the future ..

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hilary - Thanks for the kind words :-). And I really do think you'll enjoy Candied Crime. It's a great collection of stories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Margot, my first stop on today´s blog round, and what do I find? You are such a wonderful blog friend (and ambassador). Thank you so much for your generous post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dorte - Oh, nothing generous about it, my friend. I simply spoke the truth :-). I am honoured that we're blog friends and I can't wait to read more from you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yet another writer to add to the list. I'm on my way to visit now. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Annie - Oh, I'm happy that you're intrigued. I think you'll be very glad that you "met" Dorte :-).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Margot, I'm so glad you picked Dorte! You two have two of my favorite blogs to read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Karen - Awww...thanks so much! that's awfully kind of you :-). And I agree with you about Dorte's blog; it's on my daily "must-read" list. It really is.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice to see you both in the same space.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for recommending a new author to me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for this review of Dorte's stories and for the link to her TV appearance. Even though I couldn't understand it, not speaking Danish, it was good to see her and hear her speak.

    Both her blog and yours are two of the ones I look out for each day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. And a very deserving letter J too. I think Dorte has a great writing future.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've downloaded Candied Crime and am really enjoying the stories! Dorte does a wonderful job. I'll second Margot on Dorte's blog--a wonderful spot for the crime fiction community.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bill - I think you'll be very glad to get to know Dorte and her work :-).


    Margaret - Isn't Dorte terrific? Her blog is definitely one of my daily "must reads!" And it was fun to get the chance to see her on TV, wasn't it?

    ...and thanks for the kind words :-).


    Kerrie - I think so, too - Dorte is very talented and I've been waiting for "J," actually, to spotlight her.... When Dorte becomes outrageously famous and decadently rich from writing, I plan to drop her name shamelessly ;-).


    Elizabeth - Oh, I'm so glad you're enjoying those stories. They really are terrific! And you're quite right; Dorte's blog is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You folks are just too kind to be true! Thank you so much for your generous comments.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful post Margot. I so agree with you about Dorte's book and her blog.

    Mason
    Thoughts in Progress

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mason - Why, thank you, Mason :-). Dorte is really a gem and folks, do check out Candied Crime. It is a delicious treat :-).

    ReplyDelete
  19. Excellent review and I now want to read the book. Thanks so much. I do read her blog.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nan - Thank you :-). And I think you're really going to enjoy Candied Crime. It really is a good book, and I'm glad you read Dorte's blog, too. It's terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for this, Margot. I know Dorte's blog (of course) and this post has given me the needed push to read more of her work. Now it's just a matter of finding the time to read...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Elspeth - I know what you mean; so many books - so little time... That's what I love about blogs; you can get to know a person and his or her writing even when you don't have a lot of reading time.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I want to buy the book but I'm nervous about buying it from smashwords. But, I guess I'll do it anyways. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Clarissa - Thank you :-). It really is a terrific read. I've heard other people say they're concerned about buying from Smashwords but I honestly had no trouble at all. Neither have other folks I know who bought from there. I'm sure you're gonna like this collection :-).

    ReplyDelete
  25. Clarissa, I don´t want to push anyone to buy MY stories, but it has always struck me as very easy to figure out how to pay & download Smashwords books. You can use credit card or Pay-Pal, and if you are in doubt about the version, you could download the free sample first (or try all ten if you like). And if you or anyone should experience problems with "Candied Crime", I assure you that I can solve them so you´ll get what you have paid for.

    ReplyDelete
  26. All I can say is that after sitting on the fence for a very long time, I have finally decided to get an e-book reader. You don't have to be either a crime fiction writer, or reader to figure out which book pushed me over the fence.

    ReplyDelete
  27. A terrific post. I plan to read this book and have added Dorte's work to my ever-growing TBR list. I, too, think Dorte's blog is a treat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Rayna - Oh, I am so sorry not to have responded before this *deep blush of shame!* I'm glad you have decided to get an E-reader because I think you'll love Dorte's book. But don't expect any reduction in your TBR list.. ;-).



    Vvette - Thank you :-). And I am truly sorry it took me this long to respond to your comment *embarrassed blush*. I think you'll really enjoy Candied Crime :-). And yes, Dorte's blog is wonderful, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete