Sunday, September 19, 2010

With a Thousand Million Questions*

…well, actually only eight. Dorte at DJ’s Krimiblog tagged me in a game that challenges the blogger to answer eight questions. Trust me, I am not that interesting, but here goes:

  1. If you could have any superpower, what would it be? Why?

I would want a magical remote control. I would love to “rewind” to be able to right the wrongs I’ve said and done. I’d also love to “fast forward” through traffic jams, long meetings and airport delays, too. And that “mute” button could be quite handy…

  1. Who is your style icon?

I don’t really have what you’d call a style icon. However, I do admire Diane Keaton’s down-to-earth, yet classic and sophisticated look. Wish I had her wardrobe budget!

  1. What is your favorite quote?

I have a few quotes that I really love. One of them is this: "The larger the island of knowledge, the longer the shore of wonder" by Ralph Sockman. I suppose it’s because I love learning. Plus that quote helps me to remember not to be arrogant; there is always something out there you don’t know.

  1. What is the best compliment you’ve ever received?

I am always truly honoured when people say nice things about my writing and my blog. That means an awful lot to me, because I put myself into my writing. When people compliment my writing, that’s a commentary on who I am, and that means so much.

That said, though, I think the greatest compliment I’ve received came recently from my daughter: “Mom, you’re a genius! No wonder I keep you around.” I’ll never forget that because it was spontaneous.

  1. What playlist/CD is in your CD player right now?

Right now, there’s a very good reggae mix that my daughter made in my car CD player. Usually, though, it’s either classic jazz or classic rock and roll.

  1. Are you a night owl or a morning person?

I have to admit, I’m a morning person. Not the relentlessly cheery and annoying “morning” type, but I get up very early.

  1. Do you prefer cats or dogs?

I like both very much, but I’m allergic to most cats. So I am proudly owned by two dogs.

  1. What is the meaning behind your blog name?

Besides reading a lot of crime fiction, I also write mysteries. So I wanted a blog name that would express that without being too much like an advertisement. No magic or secret to it, really.

So there you have it. Nothing electrifying, but those are my answers to the questions. Some people pass this game on, and if you would like to play and answer the questions yourself, feel free to do so!! But I’ll let you decide..

NOTE: The title of this post is a line from The Moody Blues’ Question.

On Another Note….

In case you weren’t aware of it, Dorte is a very talented writer, whose short story Alley Cats is entered into the Kilat Flash Fiction Challenge. Do please check out the story – it’s terrific! If you think so, too, give it a thumbs-up vote. There's still a week left to vote!

27 comments:

  1. I did vote for Dorte's short story!

    Also, I want a magic remote! I think it would be awesome to mute the noises around me. Love the quote and love the two dogs you always have with you in your pics. Cool!

    CD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Voted for Dorte's story. Seems we could all use that magic remote.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clarissa - I'm so glad you voted for Dorte's story :-). And thanks for the kind words about the picture; I have to say, It's good to have doggie-friends. They really are a part of our family.

    And hey, if you ever find out where to find that magic remote, let me know, OK?


    Johm - I'm glad you voted for Dorte's story; isn't it great? And I agree; there are probably a lot of people who would like that magic remote.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How nice - I feel I know you a little better now:) I'll go check out Dorte's blog now - have to join a fellow Scandinavian!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw the remote in a movie once. Can't remember the name but I thought it was cool. I love cats as well but I'm allergic. I own two dogs - Boxers. Just love them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alexandra - Thank you :-). And I think you will really like Dorte's story. She's a marvelous writer.


    Clarissa - Oh, yes! I'd forgotten that you have Boxers. One of our dogs is part Boxer, too. Great minds.... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Always enjoy learning new things about you. I think the magical remote is something we'd all love to have and I like your taste in music.

    I checked on Dorte's story and voted. I'd like to say a special thanks to you for introducing me to Dorte and her blog. I'm amazed how far we all are from each other and how close at the same time. Blogging just makes life fun.

    Mason
    Thoughts in Progress

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mason - Thanks for voting for Dorte's story. Isn't she a terrific writer? And believe me, it's my pleasure to introduce my blogging friends to each other. We can all learn so much from each other; I know I've learned from all of you. You're right that life is really enriched by getting know each other. I was just thinking yesterday that I've met blog-buddies from literally all over the world. I've got friends on all six populated continents and in Oceania, and that's pretty amazing :-).

    ReplyDelete
  9. If I had a super power I would want to fly. I would not want to read minds. Especially womens minds. I think of the movie What Women Want. Holy frijoles Batman. What a nightmare that would turn out to be LOL!

    Stephen Tremp

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your superpower, Margot. That, perhaps, is the one I would like to have myself.

    And even if it say it dozens of times more, it would not be enough- you are one wonderfully kind and sensitive person, and a very knowledgeable one at that. I love hanging around with you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stephen - It would great to be able to fly, wouldn't it? And I''m just as well pleased, myself, not to be able to read others' minds. If people could read each other's minds, there might be a lot less crime, and then where would crime fiction be? ;-)


    Rayna - Thank you! :-) You really are very much too kind to me *blush*. And I love hanging around with you, too. You are a real inspiration. And if either of us ever does find a place to get that superpower, let's agree to go and get one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice compliment from your daughter!

    I wish I had that remote, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Elizabeth - Thanks :-). And yeah, I think that remote would be wildly popular... If it's ever invented, whoever figures it out is going to get obscenely wealthy from selling it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm another one who wants that magic remote...the more I think about it the more I want it! Now I'm a tad annoyed I don't have it. Thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Elspeth - Sorry about the "annoyed," thing. I wish very much I had one of those remotes, too, so we can be annoyed together ;-).

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, Margot, I completely forgot what I was going to say when I read the end of your post!

    With regard to superpowers, you don´t have to wish for generosity - you possess that wonderful quality already!

    (and I could use that mute button too).

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dorte - You are very, very kind :-). And thanks for tagging me; this was fun. I would love to have that mute button... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. You're a morning person?! I don't know the time lag between NZ and your place, but you always reply to posts so quickly - is it because you're up so early?!!! I don't function that early.

    Just voted for Dorte (-:

    ReplyDelete
  19. Vanda - I'm so glad you voted for Dorte - her story is great, I think.

    Sometimes the time difference really does help me. For instance, right now, it's 6:43am on Tuesday. For NZ, it's 1:43am on Wednesday, so it looks like I'm a lot more industrious than I really am ;-). I do get up early, though, and I find I get the most done in those first few, quiet hours of the day. That is, if the dogs let me ;-).

    ReplyDelete
  20. Margot: I am also really happy that so many of your friends (and mine) have voted for my story!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dorte - And well-deserved votes they are :-) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I thought for a minute about that remote control power and it made me nervous. I would have had to rewind so many times in my life. Wouldn't that scramble my brain?

    This is a great list, Margot. I'm glad I'll scrolled down the page to catch up.

    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  23. Patricia - You have a point; I wonder how many "rewinds" it would take to really cause brain damage?? ;-). And thanks for taking the time to scroll back through my posts. That means a lot to me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm just catching up with reading your blog! I'm a morning person too and flag by the evening. I like both cats and dogs and have had both, sometimes a cat and dog together - they got on very well.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I loved your comment on Elizabeth Spann's revising and writing in layers post and just had to pop over and say hi! :)

    ReplyDelete