Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Spelling it Out...

Hello, All,
A very helpful post from Bernadette at Reactions to Reading
inspired me to put together this summary of the books I profiled for the recently-ended alphabet in crime fiction meme. I hope that you’ll find this list useful!

And Then There Were None – Agatha Christie
Black Coffee – Agatha Christie/Charles Osborne
Cards on the Table – Agatha Christie
Dead Man’s Folly – Agatha Christie
Evil Under the Sun – Agatha Christie
Funerals are Fatal – Agatha Christie
The Ghostway – Tony Hillerman
Hickory Dickory Death – Agatha Christie
The Irish Village Murder – Dicey Deere
The Jewel That Was Ours – Colin Dexter
The Kalahari Typing School for Men – Alexander McCall Smith
Love, Lies and Liquor – M.C. Beaton
The Murder of Roger Ackroyd – Agatha Christie
The Nightmare Factor – Thomas Scortia and Frank Robinson
The Origin of Evil – Ellery Queen
Pretty is as Pretty Dies Elizabeth Spann Craig
Calamity Town – Ellery Queen
The Right Attitude to Rain – Alexander McCall Smith
Sad Cypress – Agatha Christie
Thirteen at Dinner – Agatha Christie
Untimely Guest – Marian Babson
A Vineyard Killing – Philip R. Craig
Whispers of the Dead – Simon Beckett
Something Wicked – E.X. Ferrars
A Nice Murder for Mom – James Yaffe
Another Dead Teenager – Mark Richard Zubro

Hmm... is anyone surprised that nine of these titles (35%) were Agatha Christies (10/38% if you include Black Coffee, which was adapted by Charles Osborne from the original Christie play)? I actually wondered that the percentage wasn't higher ; ).



Thanks once again to Kerrie at Mysteries in Paradise for organizing this meme. Kerrie, I’ll look forward to seeing what you have in store for us next ; ).

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting all the books together. They were all interesting and this is a great way to keep a copy of them for my wish list.

    Mason
    Thoughts in Progress

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great list especially for Christie fans. Thanks Margot, I must post my own list some time soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL Margot - you're a proud Christie fan, there's nothing wrong with that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mason - My pleasure : ). I thought that it'd be worth posting as a list if it would prove helpful to others; I'm glad you see it that way.


    Norman - Thanks : ). I'll be interested to remind myself of your list, too. And I'm looking forward to reading your choices for A amd B.


    Bernadette - LOL! You're quite right - I'm proud to be a Christie fan, and why not, I say. Thanks, by the way, for posting your own list. I am still in awe of your ability to choose one-word titles for the entire alphabet. A feat I know I could not have equaled.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm keeping this list - there were so many books I wanted to read! Thanks for posting this, Margot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elspeth - My pleasure : ). I'm really glad you've found the list useful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations Margot, a lovely collection. I have already acquired one or two of them to add to my daunting pile of books to read! The Nightmare Factor looks particularly good and I was lucky to be able to track down a copy which is now waiting to be read......;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maxine - Thank you : ). I'm sorry not to have got onto your comment sooner; I don't always think to look back on my posts as I should : (. I think you will like The Nightmare Factor. To me, anyway, it's much better of a medical thriller than some of what's out there today (although I will say I like Michael Palmer's stuff).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Margot, I'm trying to catch up on all the posts I missed while my company was here -- I'm glad I went this far back because you've reminded me I need to read through my stack of Agatha Christie novels to put myself back in the genre. It's a great way to get centered after I've been reading outside the mystery world.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Patricia - I know what you mean about having company. I hope you had a wonderful time : ). I'm glad you found my list helpful. I actually do the same thing with Christie when I've been reading something besides crime fiction.

    ReplyDelete