Friday, January 29, 2010

We Interrupt Your Regularly Scheduled Blog Post ; )

...to bring you an admittedly self-serving announcement. Please forgive any self-aggrandizement, but I've just received this copy of the cover art for B-Very Flat, which should be coming out next month. I just couldn't resist sharing it :)

Here's the blurb on the back:

Is anyone really safe? Not necessarily. At nineteen years old, Serena Brinkman, an undergraduate violin major at Tilton University,
seems to have a very secure future; she’s got good looks, money, people who love her, and rare musical talent. She’s also got a coveted Amati violin, a musical rival, friends whose secrets she knows, and an obsessed fan.
Serena’s dreams are shattered when she suddenly dies on the night of a major music competition. Serena’s partner, sure that her death was not an accident, asks for help from Dr. Joel Williams of Tilton’s Department of Criminal Justice.

Williams, a former detective, becomes convinced that Serena was murdered, when he learns how unsafe her world really was. As he works with the Tilton Police Department to uncover the truth, Williams finds that Serena’s looks, money, and talent, far from securing her future, made her a target.

I'm going to be "fading to black" for tomorrow, since we're in the middle of our move, but I'll be back on Sunday night/Monday with my contribution to the alphabet in crime fiction community meme so ably led by Kerrie at Mysteries in Paradise. Here's a sneak peek at my choice; see if you can guess what it is ; ).




Until then, enjoy the week-end : ).


21 comments:

  1. Congratulations Margot, the cover looks great and I don't blame you for being excited.

    Good luck with moving - it never seems to matter how short the move or how organised you are it's still a hassle so I hope it goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bernadette - Thanks so much : ). I like the cover, too - quite a relief, since I wasn't sure what the publisher would do with my idea. You're right that moving is a huge pain, but so far, so good (barring the sore muscles and inevitable profusion of boxes ; ).

    ReplyDelete
  3. What excellent news Margot. Cover looks great. Good luck with the moving too

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kerrie - Thanks : ) I must admit I'm happy about it. I'm glad you like the cover; I do, too. And thanks for the good wishes about the move. So far, so good... ; )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cover looks really good. And I think your two books will look fine together on the shelf!

    Congratulations - and the whole world is waiting for your next Joel Williams.

    Good to know that we will have your blog to comfort us in the meantime ;D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dorte - Thank you : ). And thanks very much for the kind words, too. That really maens a lot to me. I have to say, I am happy with the way the cover looks, so I'm glad you like it. Hopefully, you'll like what's inside, too : ).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome cover! I'm looking forward to the next Joel Williams book. :) Good luck with your move!

    Elizabeth
    Mystery Writing is Murder

    ReplyDelete
  8. Elizabeth - Thanks : ). I'm glad you like the cover, and thanks for the good wishes about the move. So far, we're all hanging in there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations! I'm certainly going to read this one, it sounds like a great plot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on the book and the cover. It looks great. Still looking for you to guest blog at Thoughts in Progress. With the release of B-Very Flat please consider.

    Good luck on the move. That can be hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rural View - Thank you : ). I hope you'll enjoy the story; I have to admit I enjoyed writing it.


    Mason - How kind of you to offer to let me guest-blog on Thoughts in Progress! It would be a real honor : ). And thanks for the good wishes on the move. It is hard work, but it will be worth it.


    Alan - Thanks : ). I liked it, too, so it's good to hear that you do as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Me too, it is a very "now" cover - slightly reminscent on the screensaver on my daughter's computer- not that I am allowed to look at that, but I have seen the odd glimpse out of the corner of my eye while passing (bearing cups of tea etc).

    More to the point, I'm looking forward to reading it!

    I do hope the move goes well - my thoughts are with you on that! And I have no idea on the alphabet choice unless it is something to do with petals or peonies!

    Looking forward to your next, post-move, post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Maxine - I'm so glad you like the cover. I really was, I admit, pleased with it myself; one never knows what publishers will think is appealing, but this time, I think they have a sense of what I want. Hopefully the contents won't disappoint ; ).

    I had to laugh when I read what you wrote about your daughter's screensaver. I, too, am banned from looking at what my nearly-19-year-old's screensaver is like - unless I have a snack or a drink of some sort. Some things transcend culture ; ).

    Thanks for the good wishes on the move. I am fast re-discovering muscles I had forgotten were there, but it's going smoothly, at any rate. And now...back to boxes ; ).

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations, Margot! I love it; it's very memorable and easily identifiable by the graphic alone. Important to have that quality - I've been told - in book cover art. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bobbi - Thanks so much : ). I'm really happy with it too, actually. I wasn't sure what they'd come up with, but I liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. ooooh, i love this cover. the cover of my current book is red as well. it says 'buy me'.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Maxine - Thank you : ). Red really is a standout color isn't it? I especially like it when the cover says "buy me," but isn't garish. I'm glad you like it :). Cover art is fun, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oooh how exciting. What a great cover, very abstract and in keeping with your story.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Glynis - Thank you : )! How kind of you : ). I think it's in keeping with the story, too. I was quite pleased with the way it came out.

    ReplyDelete